Wednesday, February 5, 2014

What is Panama?

First of all, completely embracing the chaos as usual, I spontaneously decided an hour before the group left to sign up for the Panama trip. I have only been on one spring break trip in my life and Bocas del Toro was like a spring break town! It was different and crazy and awesome all at the same time. We got to the border to cross a bridge that was literally falling apart, there were loose boards and nails sticking out all over and I could have dropped anything and lost it for forever. This was the bridge that connected Panama to Costa Rica. It still blows my mind. We then had to take a boat taxi to the island where I stayed in a hostel with one of the coolest people I've met so far on this trip. This experience has given me the opportunity to meet people from all over the world, which is phenomenal. I learned that it is characteristic of Panama to have people dressed up like devils running around messing with you and whipping each other? ‘Twas different but really fun to mess with them back! The best part of the weekend was on Saturday when we went to the dolphin bar, they were so majestic. My roommate in San Jose taught me that dolphins have the exact same brains as humans, but with an additional part, so maybe dolphins are the mythical mermaids of the universe? Food for thought! I had my first experience snorkeling which was SO COOL! I also did some more meditating while floating in the ocean, it is my favorite! There’s no better way to meditate for me. We next went to a beach on another island to see a ton of starfish. On Sunday we went to Red Frog Beach in the National Park, although I didn’t see even one red frog. It was still really nice, the waves were crazy huge and were a blast swimming in and getting wrecked by them. I did some yoga and dancing in the sand then rented a hammock with a friend and drank coconut juice and just admired the view. There was this rock formation of sorts that the volcanic ash made and the water crashing into it was too cool and then it would empty of water in a waterfall like way. Guess you'd have to be there. ciao for now:)