Wednesday, February 12, 2014

On Cultural Differences

Being in Costa Rica the last 6 weeks has taught me more about latin-american culture. There are a lot of little things that are accepted differently between Costa Rica and Michigan (I can't really speak for the entire United States). For example, punctuality. People in Costa Rica run on what is called "tico time" which means basically not on time. Very different from the states where "time is money". At home, I was always taught that to be on time was to be five minutes early; in Costa Rica, however, being ten minutes late is being on time. Not only does class always start late (which I'm not exactly complaining about), but in general people run on tico time. I find myself getting annoyed at times when it takes more than ten minutes for my coffee to be served and 45 minutes to get my sandwich, but it's just tico time. It's only a difference in culture and it is totally normal here to run on a slower and more relaxed schedule. Another thing that I've been struggling with adapting to is staring. I've always been told that staring is rude. But not down here. People will stare and stare for thirty minutes even after catching eye contact (when in Michigan people would usually stop staring). I feel strange at first but then I just think "it's just a cultural thing". It's bizarre how people do little things differently across the world. And the ability to be aware of these differences and accept them is something important. People should step out of their comfort zone and realize that "their way" or "their culture's way" isn't the only way. Instead of getting frustrated with the way people do things different from yourself just salute the beauty in all and say NAMASTE! On another note, I went to life in color last weekend. It was supposedly the biggest paint party ever. I have to say it was the most fun I've had since I've been in Costa Rica.